In our fast-paced, digital world, it’s easy to overlook the importance of making sure that everyone can access and understand the content that we create. But it’s vital that we do.
For digital agencies, this is especially important when it comes to creating annual reports. There are several compelling reasons why digital agencies need to make their annual reports accessible. First and foremost, it is simply the right thing to do.
Annual Reports – What are they?
Remember, an annual report is more than just a profit and loss statement. Annual reports are typically filled with critical information about the agency’s finances, performance, and goals for the future. But if they’re not accessible, then this information can’t be used by everyone who needs it.
Additionally, annual reports are often used by investors and other stakeholders to gauge the health and performance of a company. If these reports are not accessible, they can exclude people with disabilities from participating in this important process. Finally, accessible annual reports can help digital agencies show their commitment to inclusivity and social responsibility.
Pointers to keep in mind
- An annual report is generally in PDF format and the first thing to remember is to design your annual report keeping accessibility in your mind right from the beginning. Think accessibility right from the beginning to avoid retrofitting costs.
- PDF accessibility is much more than tagging and just because a document is available as a downloadable PDF does not mean that it is an accessible PDF. One of the biggest challenges faced by people with disabilities while accessing PDF is that the document scanned and published online is as an image PDF. Check out Top 5 Common PDF Accessibility Errors
- When creating a PDF, there are a few things you can do to ensure it is accessible to all users. Here are some tips:
- Use a tool that can create tagged PDFs. This will ensure that the PDF can be read by screen readers and other assistive technologies.
- Use simple, easy-to-read fonts.
- Avoid using graphics or images wherever possible. If they are necessary, make sure to include alternative text descriptions.
- Use clear and concise language throughout the PDF.
- Ensure that the PDF has a logical structure and is easy to navigate.
Documents to make accessible
Along with your annual report, there are a variety of documents that digital agencies should make accessible. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Proxy Statements
- eBooks & Viewbooks
- ESG & Sustainability Reports
- Investor and Brand communications
- Interactive PDFs
- Brand Toolkits and other marketing collaterals.
Making these documents accessible to clients ensures that they are well informed about the work that you are doing on their behalf. It also helps to build trust and confidence in your agency.
Why 247 Accessible Documents?
With expertise in PDF/UA & WCAG 2.0 & 2.1, our team at 247 Accessible Document not only tests with the PDF Accessibility Checker in Adobe Professional but also ensures that a manual quality check is thoroughly implemented on the tags and the content. In addition, all our documents are tested by a native Screen Reader User to ensure that it goes beyond compliance and is usable to people with disabilities.
Making information accessible to all people, regardless of ability, should be a core value of digital agencies. Partner with us to know how we can support you by remediating & testing your documents to meet ADA & Section 508 compliance.